Monday, April 2, 2012

Crown of Thorns Snack

Matthew 27:29 They wove thorn branches into a crown and put it on his head, and they placed a reed stick in his right hand as a scepter.  Then they knelt before him in mockery and taunted, "Hail!  King of the Jews!"
John 19:2 The soldiers wove a crown of thorns and put it on his head, and they put a purple robe on him.

Good Friday is in several days and I have been trying to decide what we could do to discuss Jesus being crucified.  I plan to show my little disciples several images of the crown of thorns from Photobucket and briefly explain that Jesus had to wear it on his head.  Because they are only 2 and 3 years old, I do not want to go in depth with the nails and blood.  I will briefly say, "Some people didn't like Jesus and were mean to him."

I plan to make the Crown of Thorns snack after our discussion.  I made one today so I could post a picture of it for you in case you would like to try it as well, plus I wanted to see how well it would turn out:)
First, I made sugar cookies in the shape of an O for a crown.
Next, I mixed food coloring with frosting to make it brown, then I spread it over the cookie.
Last, I placed pretzels on the frosting.

You could make it easier and not make your own sugar cookies.  Any store bought cookie or cracker would work, it doesn't need to be in a shape of an O.  Instead of frosting, you could use peanut butter.  My youngest disciple has a gluten intolerance so I have to do a lot of baking:)

Wishing you and your family a very blessed Easter!  ~ Kaylee


No comments:

Post a Comment