Friday, March 30, 2012

Resurrection Rolls

I got this idea and recipe from the best Sunday School teacher I know...my sister.  She has volunteered at our church teaching the 2-year-old Sunday School class for the past 5 years.  I had the opportunity to help her bake Resurrection Rolls in her class last Sunday and the kids loved it!
This morning, we made our own Resurrection Rolls.  Before we started, we reviewed the Easter story.  If you need ideas on teaching your little disciples, you can see what I do on my post from several weeks ago.  Click on Teaching the Easter Story.

Resurrection Rolls
Ingredients:
1 can of Crescent Rolls
8 large marshmallows
1/4 stick butter, melted
cinnamon and sugar mixture
1. Flatten out each crescent roll.
2. Roll each marshmallow in the cinnamon and sugar mixture.

3. Place marshmallow inside crescent.
4. Roll the bread around the marshmallow.
I told my little disciples, "Jesus is like the marshmallow and the bread is like the tomb."  We kept discussing the story while preparing the rolls.
5. Pinch the crescent around the marshmallow so no marshmallow will melt out of it.

6. Brush butter on each roll.
7. Sprinkle the extra cinnamon and sugar on top of the rolls.
8. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
   
When you open the roll, the roll is empty.  Just like the tomb was empty when the angel rolled the stone away.  I asked my little disciples, "Where is the marshmallow?"  The oldest said, "In Heaven!"  Well...um...I didn't know how to answer that one, but I knew she understood the story!


4 comments:

  1. Precious! Haven't taught wee ones in 20 years, but still research for "ideas"! (Guess, that is OK for JOY members (--Just Older Youngesters)

    ReplyDelete
  2. when we did this My son said WE COOKED JESUS (he's 4)

    ReplyDelete