Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Jesus Calms the Storm

Luke 8:25 "When he gives a command, even the wind and waves obey him!"
Yes, Jesus was that powerful.  The scripture reading of "Jesus Calms the Storm" is in Matthew 8:23-27, Mark 4:35-41, and Luke 8:22-25.  A brief summary: Jesus and his disciples were on a boat.  When Jesus was taking a nap, a fierce storm came down on the boat.  The disciples woke up Jesus because they were scared that they were going to drown.  Jesus stopped the storm and all was calm, then asked the disciples, "where is your faith?"  The disciples were amazed that Jesus could calm a storm.
Lesson 1: 
Create an ocean bottle
Supplies: clean 2 liter bottle, vegetable oil, glitter, food coloring, and funnel (optional)

To recreate the boat, I hot glued toothpicks together to fit inside the bottle.  This worked perfectly because it floats on top of the water.
Directions:
1.  Put 1 tsp of glitter (I used blue) inside the 2 liter bottle
2.  Fill half of the bottle with water
3.  Use 3 to 4 drops of blue food coloring, mix with the water
4.  Fill the rest of the bottle with vegetable oil using the funnel 
5.  Place toothpick boat inside the bottle
6.  Glue the lid on top
(I didn't fill the whole liter so we could see the boat floating in the water.)

Retell the story using the ocean bottle.

Lesson 2:
Acting out the story
We created this boat several weeks ago.  I have a feeling we will be using it a lot for our Bible stories.  It worked perfectly for this week's lesson.
After I taped the corners and sides of the cardboard box, we painted and glued on blue paper for the water.

I pretended to be Jesus first, then each little disciple took a turn.  
This is a picture of Jesus taking a nap in the boat.

Please leave a comment when you try either of these lessons or if you have other ideas for "Jesus Calms the Storm."  I would love to compare ideas!






12 comments:

  1. I read your post..... lots of stories about Jesus that involve a boat! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I found this at the perfect time because I want to use something like this for Easter........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad! Your blog is very neat as well!

      Delete
  3. I work at a christian preschool and love your ideas, we are talking about Jesus walking on water in a few weeks. I can't wait to use your ideas........Thank you so much!!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane! I love seeing little kids learn about Jesus.

      Delete
  4. I used a sheet for the waves. I used a tin pan and wooden spoon for the thunder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun! I'm sure your kids loved making the loud noise!

      Delete
    2. That's great ! Thank you

      Delete
  5. this is great! I'm glad to see lesson helps in telling stories about Jesus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's amazing hearing kids tell stories from the Bible.

      Delete
  6. Great ideas! We are talking about being scared this coming week and my Year 1 children will love this. Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used tin pie pans for the storm, streamers for the windy waves and made a boat by putting the chairs in a circle. the children took turns being the storm/waves, Jesus and disciples. They loved it!

    ReplyDelete