Sunday, February 19, 2012

Jesus Feeds Five Thousand

Matthew 14:13-21, Mark 6:30-44, Luke 9:10-17, John 6:1-15 Short summary: Jesus and his disciples had five loaves of bread and two fish.  They needed more food to feed the five thousand people that were hungry.  Jesus took the loaves of bread and fish, gave thanks to God, and distributed it to all of the people.  Everyone ate as much as they wanted and they still had leftovers.

We started the lesson on baking rolls of bread.  Oh, what a mess!  The dough was super sticky and it took me 40 minutes to clean up afterwards.  My youngest disciple has a gluten intolerance so we had to bake it from scratch.  I think purchasing frozen rolls would be easier...just sayin:)
While the rolls were rising and baking, we gathered our "5,000 people".  My oldest disciple asked each stuffed animal and baby "Are you hungry?  Don't worry, we'll feed you."  I loved hearing those sweet words.  My youngest disciple, however, threw all of the animals off the couch just to make his sister scream...not every lesson is perfect...right?
Fresh out of the oven!  I hid all of the rolls and canned tuna fish (another idea is goldfish crackers) under a towel in a large bowl. 
I placed 5 rolls and 2 pieces of tuna fish on another towel on the very top of the bowl.

We held the bowl above our heads pointing to Heaven, gave thanks to God, then I had the little disciples close their eyes and magically more rolls and fish appeared!  (I thought this was the most fun of the whole lesson.) 

Time to feed the people.
My son didn't care much about the lesson until he realized he could eat the rolls, too:)

This was a really fun morning, well, minus cleaning the kitchen and my youngest making the oldest scream.

To conclude our lesson, we went to a grocery store to buy non-perishable canned food.  We donated it to the Mission Committee at our church to help feed the hungry. 


2 comments: