Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Jonah and the Whale...3...2...1...Action!

My oldest disciple called herself a movie star when we acted out the story of Jonah and the Whale.  We have been learning this story all month so she easily had it memorized.  Because I am a craft junky, we don't throw away any cardboard.  I always say that someday I will need it.  Well, today was the day. 
I taped 2 big boxes together.  These happened to be from car seats that we purchased.  If you do not have cardboard boxes, a table works great too.
Cutting the teeth on the whale.

 I threw several blue blankets over the box and called it a whale.  My daughter disagreed and said it needed a tail.  So, I found blue paper, cut it into a tail shape and held it up with a pipe cleaner.

Folded a white piece of paper to add a blow hole.  Like I said before, I am a simple person.  They couldn't wait to get inside.
Roll playing - pretending to be Jonah and asking God to forgive us. 
God protected us and the whale spit us out!



Don't stress about making a perfect whale.  The main idea of this lesson is to roll play Jonah and understand his feelings of being inside the whale.  I could have painted the box blue, but blankets were easier.  Using your kitchen or coffee table is a fast idea as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment