Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Following Jesus

Would you be able to leave your family and job immediately if Jesus asked you to be his disciple?  When explaining the story, Four Fishermen Follow Jesus in Matthew 4:18-22 and Mark 1:16-20 to my oldest disciple, she said, "mom and dad will come with me."  I agreed with her, that would be very difficult for me to leave my family.  When Jesus asks us to serve him, we must be like the disciples and do it at once. 

Following Jesus can be very challenging (giving your money to those in need, doing the right thing even though you don't want to, death of a loved one...), but the outcome is greater than anything...spending eternal life in Heaven.

I have made several kinds of mazes to help my little disciples understand the challenges of following Jesus.  Psalm 32:8  The Lord says, "I will guide you along the best pathway for your life.  I will advise you and watch over you."

Marble Maze Game (I found this idea on Serving Pink Lemonade)
1. Take 2 rectangle scraps of felt and sew them together leaving a hole for the marble
2. Turn it inside out
3. Sew your own maze design
Object of the game is to start the marble at the end of the maze and find its way out of the hole.  Keep reminding your little disciple that God's path may be difficult, but it's a great reward when finished.

The hole where the marble comes out when you finish the maze


Box Lid Maze
1. Find a lid from a box in your house (I used a shoebox)
2. Cut a hole on each side
3. Hot glue straws to create a maze
Keep reminding your little disciple that God's path may be difficult, but it's a great reward when finished.


Maze Worksheet
I created 2 different mazes for my 1 and 3 year old.  You can print them here and here.  A harder maze is found on Print Activities Website.
To keep reusing the mazes, I put the them in plastic sheets and wrote with Vis-a-Vis markers.  Keep reminding your little disciple that God's path may be difficult, but it's a great reward when finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment